Making a smoke animation sounds a pretty difficult task and that too using after effects. But literally, you will realize that it’s very easy and simple as you go through this tutorial. Adobe after effects is very easy and can be used to create incredible animations, video effects etc.
In this Tutorial we are going to create a surreal smoke animation using Adobe after Effects. We will use a smoke animation video which is available for download at last. There are many other smoke animation files available on the internet. You can download such more video animation on Vimeo. Now let’s begin our tutorial.
First open Adobe after effects.
1. Now create a new project by going to File>New>New Project
2. By clicking on the Composition menu, create a new composition. Configure it as shown below.
3. Go to the file that you have downloaded and drag the smoke video to the project window as shown.
4. Now drag the file shortcut created in the project window to the timeline. Adjust the resolution of the smoke video.
5. As the smoke appears when we play the video we will have a transition on it. Open the submenu of the smoke video in the timeline by going to Smoke>Transform.
6. The animation of the transition can be done like this. Click on the key frame assistant of opacity in this menu. Move the time thumb forward by a few frames and now bring the opacity of the smoke back to 100%.
7. Create a new text layer from layer menu> New> Text. Edit the text as you desire to have and place it right above the smoke.
8. We now have to add a transition to the text. So with the text layer selected go to effect> transition> linear wipe and add the “linear wipe” transition.
9. From the effect control menu we will animate the transition. Set the feather to 100%, the wipe angle to -90˚ and click on the key frame assistant of transition completion and set the transition completion to 100% in the beginning and make it to 0 at the end of the video.
10. For the perfection of transition we will adjust it. Go to the text layer> Effects> Linear wipe. Then in front of transition completion bar you will see two diamond shaped stops adjust them for perfection.
11. With control key pressed, select the background and smoke. Left click on them and select blending mode and select “screen” blending mode. So now your background would be visible over the smoke.
12. For flauntier look we will add some effects to the text. I have added a drop shadow and an inner glow. You can right click on the text layer and in the Layer styles menu you can have them put on your animation.
13. For drop shadow select the opacity to 75%, angle 38˚, distance 41 and size 5, as also shown below.
14. To render the animation, add it to the render que from the composition menu. Now in the render que tab select the composition and click on render.
Your smoke animation is ready now. The project files and the video files can be downloaded below. Various backgrounds are provided below as a bonus but if you want a custom one you can also make your own and pick one from the internet.
The guest post is written by Adnan Farooqui from Life’s Craft. He helps you in Adobe After Effects. Feel free to approach him. Contact him on Google Plus.